When you decide to build a new house or to recondition your old one, there are a number of points to take into account. As garage doors come in various materials and styles, you will have a lot of options to choose from. Nowadays, wooden garage doors are becoming more of a popular choice due to their durability, technical features and unique appearance. Below we run through some of the pros and cons of this type – at the end of the day, deciding whether a wooden door is suitable for you will depend on your precise needs and requirements, as well as the look and feel of your existing home exterior.
What Are The Advantages?
- Not every home comes with a standard size garage door, the great thing about wood is that it can be customized pretty easily and made to fit smaller spaces – all you need to do is check the measurements are correct and have a professional install the new door for you.
- Depending on the aesthetic look you're going for, wood can look more natural than metallic doors in certain environments. You also have a range of shades and patterns to choose from. You could opt for multiple designs and patterns to be built in or simply choose standard panels to make up your door.
- Unlike glass, aluminum and steel, wooden doors will not crack and can be fairly resistant to temperature fluctuation. Some doors come with a number of layers as standard, and may include steel frames for better sturdiness. Wooden doors can also come with added insulation for better protection against the elements and sound absorption.
- Wood is a renewable resource and considered earth-friendly. Moreover, youcan buy a lot of natural treatments to increase the life span of your garage door, protecting it against bending, rotting and erosion.
- Wooden doors can be repainted easily and numerous times each time you want a new look. Varnish is also an option and a popular covering for many types of wood.
What Are The Disadvantages?
- Depending on your requirements, wood is generally more expensive than steel and other materials. However, the more you customize the higher the price will be, if you opt for a simple design, the price can be kept low.
- These types of door will likely require a bit more maintenance than other types due to their tendency to rot and erode. By opting for a door made from wood, you will need to make a commitment to its upkeep to ensure it lasts its full lifespan. We always recommend periodic protective coatings to be applied for weatherproofing purposes.
Is A Wooden Door Right For You?
Still not sure if this type of door is right for you? Just contact our experts at Garage Door Repair Daly City – we'll be glad to help you make the decision that is right for you.