Customer Issue: Ms. Harris had been struggling with her garage door opener for a while, including its tendency to open and close abruptly due to it sharing a frequency with a neighbor.
Our Solution: Ms. Harris wanted to replace her old, frustrating garage door opener with a new one. The Crafstman 54930 had the features she wanted, from a tri-frequency system to anti-burglary tech. Our team disconnected and unbolted the original opener to take it down, along with the associated wall pad. We then installed and set up the new one.
Customer Issue: Several of the customer’s wooden overhead door panels had rotted and warped and were looking terrible. Replacements were needed.
Our Solution: The customer wanted a full set of faux-wooden garage door panels to replace the old ones, and preferably more lightweight ones to help the opener and panels both last longer. Clopay provided the materials, and our team unscrewed and slid out each of the old panels to fit in the new.
Customer Issue: This customer noticed that his extension springs were on their last legs and needed replacement.
Our Solution: With the opener unplugged, the door locked in the open position, and the customer’s car safely removed from the garage, our team carefully released both springs and then put in new ones in their place. We tested the system afterward to make it could work without issues.
Genie Opener Remote Failed
Customer Issue: Opener remote control malfunctioning.
Our Solution: We tested the Genie 3062-TK opener's remote to determine what the problem was, and eventually figured out that it had simply been damaged and no longer could work. We then replaced it with a new one.
Customer Issue: Sensors out of alignment.
Our Solution: We unscrewed the sensors to make them freely movable so we were able to measure and carefully get them lined back up in their proper position facing each other directly. Then, we tested to ensure it was working again.
Garage Door Troubleshooting
Customer Issue: Needed troubleshooting.
Our Solution: After inspecting the entire system carefully in order to find the source of the problem, we determined that the rollers needed to be replaced. We took care of it by prying them out and putting in fresh ones.